Criminal Defense Lawyer
What is a criminal defense lawyer? You see, he or she is the law expert who is responsible to represent the accused party. In other words, a criminal defense attorney is a law professional who defends the person accused of committing a crime. These lawyers handle a wide spectrum of criminal cases like domestic violence, violent crimes, driving under the influence, embezzlement, fraud, and drug crimes.
The punishment for such criminal activities can range from a simple penalty, life imprisonment, or even a death sentence. Needless to say, these lawyers play a vital role in the entire legal process. Many countries mandate their presence in the courtrooms to ensure that even a party accused of a crime has a legal representative. Similarly, the US constitution also gives a chance to the accused to portray his part of the incident, with the help of a criminal defense lawyer.
A good lawyer is the one who will also help the accused in understanding his rights at every stage of the case and ways to exercise them. They can represent their client in the federal, state, and appellate courts. Their area of practice includes plea bargains, bail bond hearings, revocation hearings (probation or parole), trials, post-conviction remedies, and appeals. Keep reading to know more about criminal defense attorneys.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Criminal Defense Lawyer
Defense lawyers serve multiple purposes and at times can improve the outcome of the case. They are majorly responsible to ensure that their client is not imposed with excess convictions. A criminal defense lawyer has the following roles and responsibilities:
- Interview the witnesses and investigate the case
- Research about statutes, case laws, procedural law, and crime codes
- File, draft, and argue appeals
- Negotiate for lesser charges with the prosecution
- Draft, argue, and file motions like motions to suppress and motions to dismiss
- Support the defendant at the trial
- Develop a defense and develop the case study
- Being a part of all the interrogations and interviews
- Closely analyzing the case and identify any violations
- To determine the legal defenses that can prove to be helpful in the case
What does a Criminal Defense Lawyer do?
The job of the criminal defense lawyer is quite tricky and complex. He is the only link between the accused and the court of law. Here are some important functions that are performed by him or her during the case:
- Hiring – Generally, a criminal defense lawyer is hired directly by the person accused of the criminal act. This is done to ensure that the lawyer will represent the case tactically and professionally in the court of law. However, in some cases, the court can also appoint a defense lawyer for the accused. The judiciary system needs the statement of the accused in the court of law. It is the expertise of the defense lawyer that determines how the case will turn out to be.
- Interview about the case – Once the lawyer gets an opportunity to interact with the client; he or she would be in a better position to understand the factors associated with the case. He will also try to gather maximum data by asking specific questions. This exercise will help them to draw the strengths and weaknesses of the case. A thorough and careful questioning session is crucial for this process.
- Investigation – Due to stress and pressure, the accused might miss out on some important details of the case. Therefore, the criminal defense attorney must investigate the pros and cons of the case. His prime motive is to identify the possible points that can save his client. This process involves; questioning the police officials regarding the legal procedure, discussing the case details with the witnesses, and analyzing all the factors. The criminal lawyer also has the right to examine the prosecution’s case before submitting it to the jury. This gives him a chance to identify any lapses or loopholes in the case.
- Evidence – It is essential for a criminal defense lawyer to analyze all the evidence submitted in context to the case. Apart from this, he is also authorized to get any or all the evidence tested independently as per the theories and facts of the case. This is done to ensure that all the evidence submitted is genuine and does not intend to harm the accused purposefully.
- Constant touch with the client – The defense lawyer must stay in constant touch with his or her client. It is essential to guide him and inform him about the next course of action. The lawyer will also ensure that every detail shared by the accused remains confidential. Also, the lawyer will keep his client updated about the possible consequences of the case.
- Jury – A criminal defense lawyer has a say in the jury and can also make amendments if they are suspected to be biased in the future. He also plays a key role in the jury selection process.
- Negotiation – A defense lawyer is also accountable for checking the current status of the case and negotiate with the prosecutor for any plea bargain. He can crack a favorable deal for his client that can help in the reduction of possible punishment and charges.
- Trail – A defense lawyer has to appear in every trail to examine the witness and cross-examine them. His prime motive should be to convince the jury that the evidence is not enough to prove the crime of his client.
- Sentencing – If the client has accepted his crime and is convicted by the jury or judge, the defense lawyer can represent him during the sentencing phase. This is the last chance for the lawyer to convince the jury to limit the penalty, punishment, or imprisonment of the accused.
- Guidance – The last and the most important thing that a criminal defense attorney does for its client is guiding him throughout the legal process. He can also give some useful advice regarding the money related matters.
What are the types of Criminal Defense Lawyers?
Panel lawyers, private lawyers, district lawyers, legal aid society lawyers, expungement lawyers, and public defenders are some of the primary types of criminal defense lawyers.
- Panel Lawyers – Every government has a committee of private lawyers who are paid on an hourly basis for their time and services.
- Private Lawyers – These kinds of criminal lawyers are hired by the people who can afford them to represent their case. Generally employed by small, medium, and large law firms, these are quite expensive lawyers.
- District Lawyers – You see, the government has to punish the persons accused of criminal activity. In the majority of the countries, this is carried out by the district lawyers. Local district governments usually have some district lawyers who can be called for representing a case whenever required.
- Legal Aid Societies – Every state in the USA manages a legal organization that employs attorneys for the poor accused who cannot afford to get private lawyers. This is a non-profit organization working in the interest of society.
- Public Defenders – Public defenders are the full-time lawyers employed by the federal or state governments. They work for a group of people who cannot afford to hire private lawyers.
- Expungement lawyer – Expunction is the process in which the criminal records or evidence are legally sealed and are not displayed during any future investigations. There are specialized expungement lawyers who can represent such cases in the court of law.
Qualities of a Good Criminal Defense Lawyer
Good criminal defense lawyers are the ones who can successfully represent his client in the court of law and ensure he is sentenced to minimum punishment and penalties. Here are the top qualities of a good criminal defense lawyer:
- Integrity – A good criminal defense lawyer should display a high level of integrity in all the cases represented by him. He must be truthful with all his clients by keeping them informed about the progress and possible outcomes of the case.
- Research – A good criminal lawyer is the one who is efficient in doing detailed research about the various aspects and evidence of the case. This process also includes researching the alleged crime done by his client and the circumstances that the investigators have possibly overlooked.
- Negotiation Skills – A criminal defense attorney is supposed to spend stressful times in the court of law amid all the proceedings. However, this should not affect his ability to negotiate and go for an out of court settlement. A good attorney is the one who can come up with the best deal for his client.
- Courtroom Demeanour – Courtroom proceedings are very formal and detailed. A best criminal defense lawyer is the one who understands his duties and limits in the law of court. He should display good conduct at all times. He must not lose his cool and get intimidated by the prosecutors or the judge.
- Perseverance – Perseverance is a crucial quality of a good criminal lawyer. He should be able to pursue every possible opportunity to defend his client in the court of law. In case his client is found guilty, the lawyer must exhaust every single possibility of minimum punishment and penalty for his client.
- Knowledge – A good criminal lawyer is expected to know the intricacies of his domain. He should be well-versed with the latest law amendments and all possible legal options to prove his client innocent in the court of law.
- Communication – Needless to say, a criminal defense lawyer should be an excellent speaker and a skilled communicator. He should be talented enough to put across his points sharply and aptly. He should display impeccable verbal and writing skills during the legal proceedings.
- Understand Legal Proceedings – A defense lawyer is supposed to work closely with all the legal departments involved in a case. He should have a good understanding and knowledge about the various investigations and formalities undertaken during this time.
Benefits of Hiring a Criminal Defense Attorney
A criminal defense lawyer will help in protecting the rights of his client, develop a strong defense, and support them legally in every possible manner. When the accused hire a criminal lawyer for your case, he is also hiring his industry expertise and experience. They are highly qualified to understand all the legal aspects related to a case.
Handling a criminal case independently can be a risky decision in the majority of cases. There are many complex procedures and documentation involved that require face-to-face interactions with the judges, prosecutors, and other parties involved in the investigation. Criminal defense lawyers have a good understanding of the law system and can handle the situation perfectly.
Criminal cases are all about allegations, counter-allegations, and negotiations. If you are not from the legal field, it is beneficial to hire a professional to represent the case with a stronger strategy. They can act as a shield in case the client is innocent. Moreover, he will use all the possible factors to reduce the punishment, in case he is found guilty.
Criminal defense lawyers such as expungement lawyers, can play a vital role in mitigating the risk of procrastination. Time is the essence in criminal cases and any delay in filing the petition or documentation process can create a negative impact. An experienced defense lawyer will ensure that all the proceedings are done on time and within the limits of the court of law.
Get in Touch with the Best in Industry
If you too have been charged with a criminal case recently, hiring a defense lawyer can prove to be a wise decision. Get in touch with us for a free consultation. Our criminal defense attorney can act as a filter between the client and the judicial system, and we have both experience and expertise in this domain.
Our certified and licensed lawyers can explain to you all the pros and cons of your case. We have liaisons with the best in the industry to ease your legal proceedings. That’s not all, our backend team will ensure no deadlines and filings are missed.
We have the most experienced and efficient team of lawyers who can effectively handle your case. We can be your constant companion in this journey of yours. So, if you wish to hire the expert services of our criminal defense attorney, reach us to get a free consultation. Meet us to know all the best possible options for you.