Employee rights in the work place are one of the most essential departments of rights. There is a special sector of law called employment law and basically covers all the related rights and obligations that exist between employer and employee relationships. This law not only covers the current employees, but it also pays equal attention to the former employees and job applicants. Many legal disputes arise which involves businesses and employee rights and regulations. Moreover, as long as the conditions and the relationships occur in the employment sector, it is a very complicated department and a wide array of situations can arise as long as legal issues related to employment law are considered. This is the reason why knowing about employee rights in the workplace is very important. If you want to know more then you can contact employment lawyers.
Employee Rights In The Work Place -Healthy work environment
When any person gets employed into a particular job profile in a company, it is natural that they spend a lot of hours of their entire day doing something on the other related to it. It includes travelling to work, spending a number of hours in the office, and travelling back home. Especially when the economy of the world is in such a disturbed state, it is understandable that you might feel extremely lucky that you have a job in your hand.
However, even though having a stable job is important, it is also important that as an employee, your rights are being respected at your workplace. And the employers are bound to follow these rights which come under the law. It does not matter if you are an employee or employer for someone who is just looking for a job. It is still very crucial to understand and follow the employee rights in the work place to maintain a healthy work environment.
What rights do a employee have in the work place –some of violations that might happen?
- Firstly, in most of the states, privacy is awarded to the employees in any workplace. Hence this rule also applies to the personal belongings of the employees including handbags, and storage lockers are provided to the Employees. They also get the opportunity to use a private mail which is addressed only for them. However if you are using the computer system of the employer, your email messages and the usage of the internet is not really hidden.
- Today discrimination is not accepted even the least bit in workplaces. The employee rights in the work place law prohibits any kind of discrimination based on color, caste, creed, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or any other factor. An employer cannot deny you a job or a promotion based on any of these factors and the others which are included under the State Law. Harassment of any kind is also strictly restricted in any workplace.
- Every employee has the right to a healthy working environment and a safe workplace which does not promote any dangerous condition and is free of toxic substances and potential safety hazards. Here you can find more details about what rights do a employee have in the work place.
- It is mandatory to get fair wages according to your performance in the company. The state announces a minimum wage law that it makes sure that every employer must pay that basic amount to the Employees. This rate has to be paid to the employees for any number of hours they have worked and if they work overtime, it is employee rights in the work place to claim an increased pay.
- When it comes to over time, the federal has made a law that their employees have to be paid for those extra hours. Usually the bonus pay is kept at a 50% increase per hour if they work over 40 hours per week. This overtime payment rule is not optional and has been made mandatory by many states. The employee has the full right to claim this amount from their employer.
- The federal law has also made it mandatory that the employees must be around a safe working environment. All the manufacturing facilities needs to be taken care of and if any kind of unsafe condition is seen, the company has to pay a hefty amount of fine. But what exactly is an unsafe work environment? For example the employees can be sometimes exposed to chemicals because of the lack of safety equipment. Safeguards sometimes work on dangerous machinery without any protective measures. All these are taken very seriously under the employee law.
- Every employee rights in the work place to take some amount of time off from the work so that they can take care of themselves and their families. Hence under the employee rights law, the employees can get leaves if they have any personal emergency like a serious illness of any family member or if they have just given birth to a new baby or even adopted. In this case the employee can take up to 12 weeks of leave without worrying about the protection of their job. During this leave, the employee cannot lose their job and they cannot be denied this time off. However in some companies these leaves are paid and in some, they are unpaid.
Employee rights in the workplace –Understanding the importance
There are many employees today who are not even fully aware of their rights in their workplace and the laws that are present to protect them. So it is always smart to address questions about your rights in your workplace so that you understand what you are getting into. Sometimes the people in power can abuse these rights. But you need to know that the rights cannot be violated in any condition and every citizen has the authority to gain benefits from these rights.
When it comes to handling your accusations our employee rights in the work place is there for you and waiting to solve your problems by fighting for you to get your justice. Call on our toll free number now. You can visit our home page for related information.