Medical malpractice statute of limitations NY has always been a topic of discussion. When a medical error is committed by a doctor, nurse or any other person related to the medical field and it can have a negative effect on the health of the patient, it will be considered as medical malpractice. This statute of limitations all comes under Malpractice Lawyers to value the researches.
To be classified as a matter of medical malpractice, the action that caused harm to the patient must have some relation from the field of medicine. Proving such malpractice can be very difficult to prove especially when the affected one does not have enough understanding of the medical practices. Medical malpractice cases in New York State helps to understand the essential sides of medical faults.
Medical Malpractice Statute of Limitations NY- Rules & Regulations
The law allows the victim to file a case within a stipulated period of time. Here are some rules for statute of limitations in NY for medical malpractice.
- 30 months – From the time when the injury has inflicted a victim has thirty months or 2.5 years of statute of limitation to file a case against an intended medical person or institute in New York.
- Rule of Discovery – The rule of discovery empowers a person to file a case against the culprit doctors as and when he or she comes to know about the ailment. For instance, a person visits a regular practitioner with a complaint of chronic back pain. The doctor without conducting any diagnostic tests prescribes some pain killers.
After thirty months the patient realizes those were early indications of bone cancer. So the patient can file a complaint against the doctor for negligence when he realizes this fact. Medical malpractice statute of limitations NY will begin from this point in time.
Legal Malpractice Statute of Limitations NY- Exception Cases
Though the general rule of the statute of limitations is a period of thirty years, there are several exceptions that come into play in medical malpractice statute of limitations NY. Let us have a look at them.
- Continuous treatment doctrine: Under this doctrine, the time period does not start when the patient is under some kind of treatment. Legal malpractice statute of limitations NY permits once the treatment is over the patient can file for a complaint.
- Insanity: When a patient is deemed insane by legal definition the statute of limitation will be stopped. It will start only again when the patient has recovered completely.
- New York state agencies: People who avail treatments in hospitals owned by state agencies can sue them for negligent treatment. But they must file the claim within 90 days of the injury. Then an additional 15 months are given to go through the filing procedure.
- Wrongful death: When a person dies due to medical malpractice there are two options that the family members can avail to file a lawsuit. The first option is to file a claim against the medical provider within two years of death. The second option is to play the role of a representative of patient in order to recover all the associated costs. The time period for this is 30 months.
What is the Statute of Limitations for Medical Malpractice in NY?- Help Guide
Medical malpractice is a tricky thing to handle. At first a patient needs to know about what is the statute of limitations for medical malpractice in NY? Hiring the best lawyers for the purpose can help you get the best compensations. Keep the below list handy for quick reference:
- Law Offices of Michael S. Lamonsoff, PLLC: They have the maximum number of award-winning attorneys under their wing. They have even gained the highest rating from AVVO and Google.
- Jonathan C. Reiter Law Firm, PLLC: When in trouble, you can avail their free case review. This helps the client in getting a clear view of the case. Their customer service is available 24/7.
- Karasik Law Group: The law firm houses a group of highly dynamic lawyers who are formidable in the courtroom. They have negotiated million dollar settlements for their clients. They ensure perfect trials for their clients.
- Zucker & Regev, P.C.: They specialize in cases dealing with wrongful deaths and medical malpractice. They are a group of compassionate lawyers who ensure the best compensation for the ones affected.
- Queller, Fisher, Washor, Fuchs & Kool, LLP: The law firm has experience of 50 years. They have helped out over $1 billion victims. They go beyond all limitations to help their client.
For more information regarding Medical malpractice statute of limitations NY, visit our home page by clicking on this link.