Texas Statute of limitations prescribes a limit for prosecution of certain categories of crime. It is imperative to file the criminal charges within a stipulated period of the time or else they cannot be filed in the future at all. The main reason behind this law in Texas is the belief that the evidence gets destroyed over a period of time, and they cannot be further used to make convictions. You can also reach Malpractice Lawyers to know more about it.
The stipulated time period can vary from 2 years to 20 years depending upon the level of the case. However, for some specific category of offenses, no specific statute of limitation at all! The limitation applicable completely depends upon the extent of the alleged offense. The statute of limitations duration starts from the moment the crime has taken place. Generally, the most severe crimes ate not subjected to this limitation.
Texas Statute of Limitations : Cases with no such limitation
- Manslaughter and murder
- Offense against infants and young children
- Aggravated assault or sexual assault
- Human trafficking
- Abandoning the scene of the accident that resulted in the demise of a person
In case of a crime involving children less than 17 years, the statute of limitation shall be above 20 years.
Cases where Statute of Limitations in Texas is 10 years
- Theft by a government employee offenses
- Theft by fiduciary offenses
- Compelling prostitution
- Felony charges including injury to elderly or disabled
Cases where Statute of Limitations Texas is 7 years
- Money laundering
- Misappropriation of fiduciary property
- Securing and executing a document by means of deception
- Medicaid fraud
- Debt or credit card abuse
- Identifying information by fraudulent means
Cases where Texas statute of limitations is 5 years in Texas
- Robbery or theft
- Endangering or abandoning a child
- Injurious acts to disabled or elderly people
- Insurance fraud
Statute of Limitations Texas – Best Criminal Defense Lawyers
- John T Floyd Law Firm – This is one of the top criminal law firms in Texas. You can completely rely on their expertise and experience. They believe in handling every case with the main motive to grant justice to the innocent.
- Clancy & Clancy Attorneys at Law – They have been renowned for having some of the best criminal lawyers in their team. They have an exemplary record of handling the highest successful criminal cases in Texas.
- Gray & Jones Attorney at Law – The team of criminal defense attorneys here is the USP of this law firm. They have a very good understanding of the overall legal proceedings and formalities required to be done for a criminal case.
- Stephen Gustitis, Criminal De – Known for their aggressive outlook towards every single case is the major attraction of this law firm. You can consult the expert statute of limitations in Texas affiliated to this law firm regarding your case.
- Broden, Mickelsen, LLP – If you are looking for a criminal lawyer that can effectively handle your case, this can be the one for you. You can share all your details with them and can rest assured for the proceedings.
If you or any of your loved one are also convicted of a criminal case, make sure you hire a criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible. The statute of limitation is the golden opportunity for you to file your case and get justice on time. Consult the experts at Online Attorney to know more about Texas statute of limitations.